Find the list of best surrogacy doctors in India who offers the best treatment with the highest success rate. The list has been categorized on the basis of doctors fame, experience, reviews, ratings, and cost. Dr. Mohit Saraogi from Saraogi Hospitals and IRIS IVF Centre and Dr. Kaberi Banerjee from Advanced Fertility Centre top the list of the best surrogacy doctors in India.
IVF cost in India or test tube baby cost depends upon the number of treatments taken. The cost of IVF in India is Rs. 2,50,000 - Rs. 4,00,000 on an average with add on infertility treatments depending on location, expertise of IVF doctor, and success rates at the fertility centre.
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) cost in India depends on many factors such as the age of the patient, chances of her pregnancy, a requirement of a donor, and medication consumed in the procedure. It will be more appropriate to ask a doctor, for the IVF treatment cost including the medication and medical tests. A fertility center or the IVF specialist may quote the IVF cost of the procedure, which may increase later due to the addition of sub-infertility treatments. The average IVF treatment cost in India is Rs. 1,50,000 - Rs. 3,50,000 excluding blood tests and fertility injections. More than 8 million babies are born till the date with the IVF procedure. In India, only a few healthcare insurance companies cover IVF treatment under their insurance schemes. The IVF market around the globe is huge and treatment is expensive. The market expansion is predominantly inspired through rising infertility rates, across the globe. Factors like affordable costs and the high success rate of IVF treatments are further increasing the overall development in the field of infertility treatments. The involvement of male and female infertility varies from one case to another. According to WHO's health financing profile in the year 2017, the government of India has paid out of their pocket to support IVF treatment cost of patients. WHO also mentioned that out of total spending, approximately 70 percent was handed over to the health sector to fulfill IVF treatment cost. Recently, the government of India has eliminated certain items from the list of 'optional coverage' products to support the IVF cost in India. These items include dental, stem cell, and infertility treatment earlier considered as "optional cover" for health insurance. (1) According to Times Of India, 79 percent of the urban population is covered only under public insurance companies. On the other hand, the rural sector is still away from the benefits of insurance. (2)
In this article we will be discussing the following aspects of IVF cost in India:
- How much does IVF cost in India?
- Process of IVF in India?
- What is coverage of IVF under insurance?
- What are the economic aspects of IVF?
- What is the cost of IVF as per different cities in India and IVF success rates?
- How to choose the best centre for IVF?
The first step to evaluate the test tube baby cost is to recognize the cause of infertility. In many cases, blockage in fallopian tubes, semen quality, or problems in reproductive organs can be a cause of infertility. The infertility experts recommend fertility medications prior to starting with the steps of the IVF procedure. In advanced age above 40, multiple numbers of IVF cycles may be required. It may cost around 3 to 4 lakhs in the case when multiple IVF cycles. However, below are the costs of diagnostics procedure, sperms retrieval process and other infertility related treatments, which are, added to the IVF cost as per the case requirements of the patients. The IVF cost in India also depends upon the success rate of achieving the pregnancy. Here are the costs of the IVF procedure as per cycles and other infertility procedures. These may help in evaluating the individual IVF cost as per different treatments:
- One IVF cycle - Rs. 1,20,000 to Rs. 2,20,000
- One IVF cycle with additional infertility sub-treatments - Rs 3,00,000 to Rs 5,00,000
- Cost of IVF (with injections ) - Rs.1,06,100 to Rs. 2,35,500
- Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) - Rs. 27,900 to Rs. 76,800
- Embryo Donation - Rs. 33,500 to Rs. 1,00,500
- Freezing Charges of Embryo ( 6 months) - Rs. 16,700 to Rs. 71,600
- Freezing maintenance charges for the rest of the embryos - Rs. 4,000 - Rs. 6,000
- Donation of Sperms - Rs. 2,700 to Rs. 15,300
- Donation of Eggs - Rs. 33,500 to Rs. 91,200
- Semen Freezing for 6 months - Rs.3,300 to Rs. 23,500
- Egg Freezing for 6 months - Rs. 16,700 to Rs. 56,300
Sperm retrieval procedures and tests:
- Testicular Sperm Extraction (TESE) - Rs. 16,700 to Rs. 51,200
- Testicular Sperm Aspiration (TESA) - Rs. 16,700 to Rs. 51,200
- Microsurgical Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (MESA) - Rs. 13,400 to Rs. 40,900
- Testicular Biopsy - Rs. 6,100 to Rs. 28,600
These are the procedures followed in the retrieval or aspiration of the sperms from the male individual as per requirement. Subsequently, extracting the fluids from the person, the embryologist separates the sperms for ICSI procedure. Other important Diagnostic Procedures, which are usually utilized in IVF treatment include the following:
- Hysteroscopy - Rs. 16,700 to Rs. 51,200
- Laparoscopy - Rs. 33,500 to Rs. 71,600
- Blastocyst Transfer - Rs. 11,100 to Rs. 40,900
- DNA Fragmentation test - Rs. 3,300 to Rs. 35,800
* Consequently, one basic IVF treatment costs somewhere between Rs 1 lakh and Rs 1.5 lakhs. The above additional treatments or requirements may rise the cost above Rs 4.5 lakhs, depending upon the patient’s IVF cycle success rate.
* There are also few other procedures like Artificial Insemination, Gamete Intra Fallopian Transfer (GIFT), and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) that helps in completing IVF procedure.
* When a woman is not able to carry the pregnancy, then surrogacy procedure is suggested. Here, the surrogate is a person who carries a pregnancy for potential parents. Either the embryo is developed from the sperms and eggs of potential parents or donor's help is taken.
* The IVF industry in India is providing with a maximum number of treatments for the infertility causes. India is building an organized healthcare sphere, which relates to successful IVF procedures.
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) includes different treatments to cure infertility in men and women. The main step of IVF treatment is to fertilize the egg and sperms outside a woman's body in a petri dish. Infertility in women is a situation when a woman is unable to produce eggs due to blockage in their fallopian tubes or diagnoses a problem with her reproductive organ like a uterus. Men can also be the reason for infertility. Their poor semen quality and low motility rate of sperms can raise the requirement of IVF treatment. The doctors here perform cutting-edge techniques to eliminate any blockages and to retrieve the best sperms for a successful pregnancy. The eggs can be injected with the best quality of sperms with the help of medicated needles.
The complete process includes:
- Fertilization of eggs with sperms
- Embryo development outside the body
- Implanting the embryo inside woman's uterus
In IVF, women's ova or eggs are extracted and later fertilized with sperms in the laboratory. Depending upon the situation, frozen or fresh eggs, sperms or embryos may also be used. The natural process of fertilization may take 2-6 days for an embryo to develop. In the meantime, a woman is given several hormonal injections to prepare her uterus lining for adapting the embryo while implantation. The suitable stages of embryo transfer are cleavage-stage or blastocyst stage. (10) For the insertion, a flexible catheter filled with liquid and embryos is used. This procedure is performed under an ultrasound machine, to implant the embryo exactly 1-2 cm from the uterine fundus. After 14 days, a pregnancy test is performed to check if a successful pregnancy has occurred. IVF cycle may fail if the embryo does not attach itself to the endometrium lining of the uterus. (3)
The government is continuously trying to provide security against the IVF treatment cost in India via insurance. The insurance companies earlier did not include infertility treatments under medical cover, but now with new policies, they can design a whole new product. The government organizations associated with infertility medicine are now making efforts to expand the influence of insurance policies in the infertility treatments. In India, around 27.7 million couples are fighting with a varied infertility issues. It is estimated that the number will rise by 10 percent in the year 2020. In this situation, financial protection against IVF treatment cost can relief many infertile couples. People go through immense stress and financial breakdown pertaining this process knowing the fact, that success rate of the IVF cycle can vary from one case to another.
Depending upon the situation and requirements, one must check below mentioned 5 important points before buying infertility insurance:
• Complete infertility insurance coverage
• No fertility insurance coverage
• Insurance coverage for infertility diagnosis only
• Insurance coverage for infertility diagnosis and limited fertility treatment
• Medication coverage (which may or may not incorporate fertility drug prescriptions)
India usually does not cover any Assisted Reproductive technology (ART) treatment in their general health insurance policies. Recently, three exceptional quality provision schemes were launched. These schemes support a provision securing the couples from financial crisis providing medical help in the IVF and other infertility treatments.
Insurance Policies in India, which cover IVF treatment costs and other Infertility Treatments
Insurance usually covers the below following aspects in case of IVF treatment because prescribed medicines are paid separately in most cases:
- Hormone assessment
- Basic medical testing costs
- OT expenses
- Anesthetic plus procedure charges
Looking at the high demand in India for IVF treatments, many health insurance companies are willing to show positive modifications with respect to IVF and infertility procedures soon in their healthcare insurance policies. The IVF cost in India is very less and much affordable in comparison to other countries such as the United States and Canada. The IVF treatment costs them above USD 10,000, and if they spent the same amount with insurance in India, it will still be the cheapest than many western countries. They can avail the advance IVF treatment at low cost with insurance from the best IVF center in India.
Here are the 3 insurance covers, which are providing financial assistance and protection to infertile couples:
Health by Magma HDI Insurance -It is a general health insurance company, a joint venture between Magma Fincorp Ltd, Kolkata, and HDI Global SE Germany. They have four plans namely, support, plus, premium, and shield insurance plans. These plans cover the IVF treatment for women less than 40 years. The company has built maximum cover in these plans, but the insurer can add more covers as per his requirement and policies of the company at that point of time. The benefits of this insurance include pre and post - hospitalization expenses, and free health check-ups. The facilities will be exhausted after 3years from the date when the individual signed up for the policy. If an insurer is not willing to continue with the plan, they may cancel it within15 days and receive refund at the earliest. The basic insurance policy ranges at Rs. 2 lakhs, while adding extra cover may increase it to 5 lakhs. (4)
IVF Suraksha by Craft Hospital and Research Center CRAFT Hospital: The Craft Hospital in Chennai is a specialty infertility research and treatment center, which has, came up with a money back guarantee scheme to help infertile couples. The scheme is named as 'IVF Suraksha' under which money is returned if there is failure of IVF treatment. The infertile couple can take a membership lasting for 1 year to 1.5 years for Rs 2,50,000. IVF Suraksha scheme's key benefits include:
- Two IVF cycles and ICSI procedure
- 3 to 5 frozen embryo transfers
- Blastocyst transfer
- Assisted hatching
- Freezing of extra embryos
Only the couples who have been tested positive in physical fitness tests can take its membership. The membership does not include the cost of miscarriages and tubal pregnancy. (5)
- Bhartiya Mahila Bank and New India Insurance (BMB Nirbhaya) - This is a financial service banking company in Mumbai, India. The only general health protection policy is provided specifically to women. Its distinct financial statuses and coverages of IVF medical care is known as BMB Nirbhaya Scheme launched jointly by Bhartiya Mahila Bank. The bank is exclusively devoted to supporting rural women. Although being a bank it accepts cash deposits from everyone, because of their primary cause, they only lend money to the women. The women can take maternity coverage up to two children and may also avail cashless facility with this policy cover.
- After Pakistan and Tanzania, India is the third nation to introduce women oriented bank. This bank has also introduced special policies, offering cover ranging from Rs 50,000 to Rs 5,00,000.
The three plans include:
- BMB-Parivar Suraksha
They offer a customized package of health insurance policies as per the choice of the patients opting for the insurance plan. (6) The premium monthly coverage of Rs. 1 lakh starts at Rs. 1,745 for the females of 22 years of age and above. The insured person from the beginning of the third year is eligible to avail maternity expenses concealed under the policy. From the 4th year onwards, claim-free gynecological checkups are also provided to the policyholder. This is the best policy for the woman as it also includes the expenditure of different IVF cover and miscarriages.
Due to the huge population in India, it bears a great burden of infertility, among 22 to 33 million couples in the reproductive age is experiencing lifetime infertility. Female factor infertility estimates for 40%-50% of infertile couples, while male factor infertility, which is quite common now in India, accounts for 30%-40%. The IVF cost in India market was evaluated at $256 million back in 2016 and predicted to reach $829.5 million by 2023. This expansion will have a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) for about 18.2% from 2017 to 2023, reported in research. This was specified considering the active infertility awareness in the population and elevated success rates of infertility treatments. Many infertile couples are opting for more and more IVF treatment in the Indian market. In fact, India attracts maximum medical tourism to obtain IVF in India, as compared with other countries. Adaptive lifestyle and acceptance of ART and IVF treatment are some biggest reasons for the increasing demand of infertility treatments, especially IVF procedure. (7) The Indian market provides highly cost-efficient treatment from the infertility experts who have a decent record of successfully executing and completing the IVF procedure.
Below is the observation based on the research of cycle type (non - donor) category in IVF service market-
Different Cycle Types (not - donor) in IVF service market:
• Fresh IVF Cycles
• Thawed IVF Cycles
• Donor Egg IVF Cycles
It has generated the highest revenue of $187.1 million in 2016 and now estimated to reach $606.6 million by 2023. The segment is the largest section of the IVF service market in India. (8)
IVF cost in India is extremely cost-efficient in comparison to the rest of the world. The treatment affordability and accommodation expense add up while choosing IVF destinations.
The following factors have made India a recommended location for infertility treatments and one of the top destination in the world of the medical tourism sector:
- The test tube baby cost is affordable in comparison to that of western countries.
- Experts holding degrees from different countries use advanced medical technology.
- Modern infrastructure as per western countries with state-of-art technologies.
- Advanced medical treatment to sustain a patent's faith
- Presence of English speaking staff, which makes communication easier than other countries like Thailand and Mexico.
However, even inside the country, the test-tube baby cost varies from city to city. The infertile couples mostly spend about 3-5 lakhs per IVF cycle. Depending on
the location these costs vary. India is divided into two tiers. The Tier 1 cities include metropolitan cities like New Delhi, Pune, Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai, and Hyderabad. The cost of the IVF treatment in the tier 1 cities varies from those tier 2 cities.
Below is the table of cities with their IVF treatment prices according to the success rate:
|Fair Success rate||Good Success rate|
High success rate
|Rs.1,48,900- Rs1,99,800||Rs. 1,96,200 - Rs. 2,83,400|
Rs. 2,79,800 - Rs. 330,600
|Rs.1,26,000 - Rs. 1,69,000||Rs 1,65,900 - Rs. 2,39,700|
Rs.2,36,600 - Rs. 2,79,600
|Rs. 96,200 - Rs. 1,29,000||Rs. 1,26,700 - Rs. 1,83,000|
Rs. 1,80,700 - Rs. 2,13,500
|Rs.1,14,000 - Rs. 1,52,900||Rs. 1,50,100 - Rs. 2,16,800|
Rs. 2,14,000 - Rs. 2,53,000
|Rs. 87,700 - Rs. 1,17,600||Rs 1,15,500 - Rs. 1,66,800|
Rs. 1,64,700 - Rs. 1,94,600
|Rs. 104,400 - Rs. 1,40,000||Rs. 1,37,400 - Rs. 1,98,600|
Rs. 1,96,000 - Rs. 2,31,600
|Rs. 104,400 - Rs. 1,40,000||Rs. 1,37,400 - Rs. 1,98,600|
Rs. 1,96,000 - Rs. 2,31,600
|Rs. 96,300 - Rs. 1,29,200||Rs. 1,26,800 - Rs. 1,83,200|
Rs. 180,900 - Rs. 2,13,800
From the above table, we can conclude that, if the success rate of IVF is high, then the treatment cost also varies accordingly. It is also observed that cost in non-metropolitan cities is lower than in other cities.
If an infertile couple is traveling for IVF treatment to another city with minimum information, then it may turn out to be a risky, hectic and time-consuming process. It is intelligent to check and communicate first with the center, for unavoidable situations. Thorough research about the doctor, clinic and their success rate can save money and increase the chances of desired results. One must consider the following factors before choosing a fertility center:
1. Location: Frequent travel to the clinic in a sensitive condition may intensify stress on the patient. Hence, one must primarily try to find out the nearest fertility center.
2. Cost of treatment: Depending on expenses, one must evaluate all the aspects like accommodation, medicines, and procedure costs. Only in the case of high success rate of a clinic, an infertile couple should relocate. Otherwise, it is advised to check the nearest center first for gaining information about the treatment and other aspects associated with it. One must choose only the centres with good and genuine testimonials for their IVF treatment.
3. Additional Services: IVF can be an exhausting and lengthy process. Therefore, selecting an IVF specialist is a crucial step. Checking previous experiences of the doctor and fertility history of the fertility centers with affordable packages can make provide a smoother medical journey.
4. Success Rate: There are three ways, which can represent the success rate of a licensed fertility center-
- Births per egg collection
- Births per embryo (test Tube baby)
- Births per cycle of treatment
The prominent ways for selecting a fertility center, are births per embryo transfer and births per egg collection. These measures focus on accurate results driven by the clinic and are more useful in evaluation. (9)
Even medical service advisors may support the seeker in selecting and suggesting the best IVF centers at a convenient location. One can also go to these service providers for efficient treatment with maximum results to save time and money as well. IVF procedures market is flourishing to a great extent not only in India but also only in the developed countries. The reasons creating demand for IVF treatment include people considering family planning later in life, pollution effects on health and fast-paced lifestyle. Other major factors are stress and lack of awareness about human body working mechanism. The number of clinics available as per demand in the country is very less, which is rising the expansion concern for ART treatment fertility centers all over India. In fact, fertility centers are also receiving excessive demand from medical tourists outside India. The affordability and advanced technology available in this country have high scope for boosting the IVF industry in India. You can learn more about IVF and other infertility treatments on www.ovohealth.com/fertility/blog.
SOURCES AND REFERENCES:
- ^ Modified Guidelines Irdai.gov.in, 09 May 2019
- ^ Medical insurance may soon cover dental Timesofindia.indiatimes.com, 09 May 2019
- ^ In vitro fertilisation - Wikipedia En.wikipedia.org, 09 May 2019
- ^ Product Benefit Table Magma-hdi.co.in, 09 May 2019
- ^ CRAFT hospital launches India Afaqs.com, 09 May 2019
- ^ Mahila Bank ties up with New India Thehindubusinessline.com, 09 May 2019
- ^ India IVF Services Market by Gender Alliedmarketresearch.com, 09 May 2019
- ^ India IVF Services Market Expected to Reach $829.5 Million by 2023 Alliedmarketresearch.com, 09 May 2019
- ^ human Fertilisation Embryology Authority Hfea.gov.uk, 09 May 2019
- ^ Embryo transfer - wikipedia En.wikipedia.org, 09 May 2019
Was this page helpful?
Leave a Comment
Thanks for your Comment.
It will go live post Approval.
The information displayed on this webpage covers general information on several medical conditions, fertility treatments, IVF ICSI, surrogacy procedure, home remedies, and their respective treatments. The exclusive purpose of the displayed information is for the sake of general understanding and it has been collected from open sources which heavily rely on research and laboratory tests. However, the information shared here should not be considered as a medical advice or an alternative to consultation with a registered medical practitioner or licensed healthcare professional.
It is not advised to self-diagnose or treat any medical condition or disease following the information given in this article. We insist you to consult a registered practitioner and never try to replace their advice or discontinue treatment in between by relying solely on the information obtained. External links to different websites as well as videos given on the website serve the purpose of sharing knowledge only. Ovo Health being an Independent Medical Information platform is neither responsible nor guarantees the authenticity, reliability, and accuracy of these videos and websites in any way. We do not intend the information displayed here to be used for a medical emergency, if you seek medical attention for yourself (or any other person with whom you want to share the information with), we advise you to directly get in touch with the hospital or the doctor.